Finally, the big wait is OVER! Yes guys! This is it ! I really wanted to share this before but I got so busy at work. (But not complaining, though! Haha ) Joggling hectic scheds plus school was quite hard. But I’m trying my very best to be productive with everything that I do. A lot of people have been asking and requesting for a blog post or workshops regarding Flat lay Photography and I think this is the perfect time to publish this content. This is where everything started. T started in the industry by simply showing my piece of art and my big love for photography. A hobby with pure love and full dedication made me who I am right now. It’s no longer a hobby but a career and my own way of influencing younger generation. Believe me when I tell, I never intended to be a blogger but it just came along the way.
It’s great to know that a simple thing we do in life can really change us and make our dreams come true. So far, I wouldnt say it isn’t hard. Yes it’s FUN but stressful at the same time. Dude it’s crazy! HAHAHA. Sometimes I don’t have enough time for myself and to my family and also with friends. But being productive is really one of my resolutions before this year has started. Sometimes I started hating myself for being unproductive. I really wanted to go to places, discover new things or find some inspirations on my Instagram or Blog just to make myself busy and productive. But guys ( Always be the best version of you ) try to be better/more productive, it will actually help you reaching your dreams. Find inspirations, enjoy every single step of the way. Finding joy in what you do can make you stronger in your field.
Going back to this article, Today you will discover that Flat lay or #Flatlay is really “EASY” to do. There’s no such thing as “ Flat lay Talent “ or what…Everything in life is about growth and learning, Inspiration is everywhere! I started with nothing. NO IDEA at all. I will give myself 0 level skills back then.We all learn differently from exposure and experience. Just like what I said earlier FIND INSPIRATIONS. Look around you! Things that surrounds you can be a great inspiration. As a marketer I really like to innovate things, This is one way of making myself creative and look beyond a new perspective. For me “Creativity” is a must if you really want to achieve a perfect Flat lay, I always look for inspirations in social media platforms like Instagram, International/Local Blogger accounts and Pinterest. Looking for inspirations is not a “ BAD” thing, Actually for me It’s a “GOOD” thing. What made me today as a Blogger and Photographer is that I use to seek inspirations always, But don’t copy or plagiarist just innovate and make something new with your inspiration and this is one way to be unique and different.
Based on my perception, A good Flat lay is carefully constructed and pieced together with purpose, yet effortlessly tells a stylish story. Flat lay Photography is something that I absolutely adore and it’s always been my favorite part of taking and styling an image but it takes a lot of patience and practice. “Practice makes perfect” this is one of my motto every time I want to achieve something, Basically we can always try and practice things without hesitating. Anything is possible if you just gotta believe in yourself that you can do it also! Take note of that!. Flat lay is just about perfect compositions of “Angles”.
In my part, I actually start my Flat lay with one subject!
Example : COFFEE
Basically, Creating a theme is “Easy” if you already have an idea on what you should do on your concept. For this one i will make a Flat lay about my ” Morning Necessities ” that will include my one subject which is the coffee.
Edit/ Adjust to Square Mode
As I gave an illustration about my sample Flat lay, You can actually see that i focus on the specific subject, create a perfect angle, match the color tone and finally edited/adjust it on square mode. You can actually make or create new possible outcomes by trying to create different styles or angle that will satisfy you.
So to help you guys in constructing an effortless yet simple Flat lay you just need to consider this 5 Important tips from me that I will give to you. Hopefully this will answer your question and can really help you for future references.
- Perfect LightingFor me I seek for lighting first, Because my concern is the color tone, shadows and how it will match my feed. Also one of my focus is the details, I really want to shoot always at around 9am to 11am or 4:30 pm to 6:00pm. Because that’s the part where natural light really come up it maybe warm and light in the morning but if you’re achieving something dark you better go at 4pm onwards, When you shoot around 12pm to 3pm you will get a Flat lay with shadows and it’s not a good thing. Best advice if ever you will make a flatlay on a wrong time shoot somewhere that is drenched in natural light, perhaps near a large window or glass doors (Indoors). Try different places around your home, café or office until you find a place that gives you the best natural lighting.
- The Background People always ask me about this… Actually It’s a funny thing sometimes, Because anything can be a background ( wood, concrete, cartolinas, tables, chairs, floors, illustration board, blanket, bed, pillows and etc.. ). The fact is be creative and seek for a new style. A background can be simple or disturbing but it really depends on your concept on how you will make your “Big” thing. For simple backgrounds, You can use tabletops, wooden floorboards/tables , white cardboard/ illustration board, bench tops, marble tiles, shaggy/fur rugs and clean bed sheets it really work well in almost any situation specially if you’re into minimalist. For disturbing you just need to make your imaginations be free, You can use floors, printed carpets, over patterned sheets or table. Just always remember to focus and make things go with each other.
- Spaces between objects Not being obsessive-compulsive / OC on this part, But in achieving a perfect Flat lay you really need a perfect distance, angles, compositions and spaces. It will actually help you to produce a balance image and not cluttered and chaotic.
- Theme and Inspirations This is one of the most important aspects when considering/doing a Flat lay. Because your Flat lay should tell a story or describe something in time, so make sure every piece of the things that you will use in your Flat lay helps to tell the story and is in line with the overall theme. The theme could be anything and everything, Just always make sure to look beyond, create and discover new things. For inspirations I always look at Pinterest, Because it actually helps me to innovate and to create new concepts using the same platform but different theme and things that is included in my project. Basic tip that I can really give to you guys is you can create the same flatlay or idea that has been already published, But in this situation you just need to make things even “Better” by innovating it and adding new stuff that can compliment with the subject.
- Experiment different layouts and Use square template In this situation for me Flat lay doesn’t really to be on bird’s eye view always. Sometimes you just need to experiment layouts, Samples below are provided using my phone/camera, As you can see I’ve learned this recently also and discover that corners of table are really helpful in Flat lay layouts. It is in the matter of doing something and experimenting new ways in creating new Flatlays. But the most recommended layout is still Bird’s eye view, Just do something with the angle and the composition of spaces so that you can be unique and creative at the same time. If you’re shooting a flat lay on your phone or camera, It’s better to layout using square template to ensure all of the important elements are in the shot. Square still looks the best on Instagram and creates harmony and balance in every layout of Flat lay. Take note that you don’t always settle for the first arrangement you place, move things around and experiment with your layout until you find something that you are comfortable with it.
So YES!! Simple as that guys! Based on the Vogue.com.au “Flat lay photos have become the new ‘in’ thing on Instagram they’re classic, simple and chic ways to show off your favourite objects and current addictions in a pretty way”. Bloggers like us uses this creative platform in order to make our outputs and feed more complex. Flat lay is not just for us, But everyone can also do it. Try it and have fun :).
For inspiration you can check my Hashtag on Instagram #FlatlaysByDeegee
Instagram and Pinterest : Dgrazon
Thank you guys for reading this article.
Share your thoughts below 🙂